HBS Recommendation Questions 2017-2018
The 2017-2018 HBS MBA recommendation questions are up on the Harvard Business School admissions website. The HBS recommendation questions comprise of identifying information about the recommender, a brief explanation of the recommender’s relationship with the applicant, and a question about how many HBS MBA applicants the recommender is supporting this year, followed by a grid on which the recommender is asked to rate the applicant on a series of skills and qualities.
2017-2018 HBS Recommendation Questions
Context of Relationship:
- Current employer
- Previous employer
Are you an HBS graduate?
If yes, please list year of graduation:
Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, their role in your organization:
Number of applicants you are recommending to the HBS MBA Program this year:
See the grid on which HBS asks recommenders to rate the applicant’s interpersonal, communication, leadership, and academic skills using the following scale: No Information, Area of Concern, Opportunity for Development, Solid/Meets Expectations, Relative Strength/Exceeds Expectations.
Traits and Skills:
- Awareness of Others
- Imagination, Creativity, and Curiosity
- Interpersonal Skills (with subordinates/colleagues)
- Interpersonal Skills (with superiors)
- Skills: Analytical thinking
- Skills: Listening
- Skills: Quantitative Aptitude
- Skills: Verbal Communication
- Skills: Writing
Please feel free to comment on the ratings you have assigned:
Finally, HBS poses two questions to be answered in a separate document and uploaded to the online recommendation:
Please respond to both questions below in a single document.
1. How do the applicant’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (Recommended: 300 words)
2. Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (Recommended: 250 words)