The following essay topic analysis examines IMD’s MBA admissions essays for the 2018-2019 admissions season. You can also review essay topic analyses for all other the leading MBA programs as well as general Essay Tips to further aid you in developing your admissions essays.
IMD Essay Topic Analysis 2018-2019
Let’s take a closer look at each prompt.
Describe two situations, one professional and one personal, that had a significant impact on your life and the learning that followed. (500 words)
IMD essentially asks the applicant to introduce him or herself to the admissions reader, providing a basic structure for two anecdotes and a deeper discussion of the candidate’s growth and values. IMD’s framework asks for one personal and one professional subject, and applicants would do well to select examples with an eye for presenting a balanced picture of their interests, skills, and experiences. On top of this, you’ll need to reflect on the lessons you learned and consider the meaning of a “significant impact.” This could translate to a positive change, whether in your lifestyle or decision-making process or some other approach to challenges. This can be captured by accounting for a situation in which you applied what you have learned; in other words, you may briefly be able to show how a situation had a significant impact on you by briefly touching on applying what you learned afterwards.
That may feel like a tall order with only 500 words, but there is a simple exercise that can help you pare down your options and focus on core examples. So, try the following:
- Write down the 10 to 15 most important events, accomplishments, interests, or experiences in your life. Include the good, the bad, the astounding, the ugly, etc.
- Look at the list you have generated and try to determine the themes that unify the important events, interests, and ideas in your life. What has influenced you the most? What did you learn the most from? Can you account for a difference in who you were before and after the event?
- Select one professional and one personal item that influenced you the most and use them to kick off the drafting process for the essay.
Space permitting, you could conclude this essay with how you would bring what you learned to IMD and use it to enhance your fellow students’ experiences.
What is your career goal: right after IMD / in 5 years / in 10 years? (Response in bullet point Word limit 100)
Ensure that you first identify position, industry and possibly 1-2 dream target companies for each option. If you have enough room left, then you can integrate what impact you hope to have in your career.
Is there any additional information that is critical for the admissions committee to know which has not been covered elsewhere in the application? If you would like to comment on career gaps, education, GMAT/GRE, a disability or illness, please use this space. (Please, keep your answer brief. Word limit 50)
Given the short word limit here, applicants will not have room to dig deep into any outstanding issues. It will be best to be direct and concise, and avoid making excuses. Simply assert the issue and, if relevant, how you have addressed it or plan to address it.
What other programs are you considering? Of the programs you are considering, what can IMD bring you as a differentiator? (Please, keep your answer brief. Word limit 100)
It is ok that you are applying to more than IMD, but beyond the other school names, your content here should be entirely focused on why IMD is the best option for you. Do not waste space with a comparison game (“while School X has Y, IMD has Z”). Instead, stay focused on what IMD has that appeals to you.
Clear Admit Resources
Thanks for reading our analysis of this year’s IMD essay topics! As you work on your IMD MBA essays and application, we encourage you to consider all of Clear Admit’s offerings:
- IMD School of Business Profile on the Clear Admit website: up-to-date advice and admissions information
- Clear Admit IMD School Snapshot: overview of key curricular details and application information
- Clear Admit LiveWire: admissions updates submitted in real time by applicants to IMD
- Clear Admit DecisionWire: school selections in real-time by admits to IMD