The Harvard Business School 2021-2022 application is now live, which means that the HBS MBA recommendation questions are available to recommenders. Below you will find more details on elements of the application that are typically only available to recommenders after you’ve submitted their name and contact information.
2021-2022 Harvard Business School (HBS) Recommendation Questions:
Are you a graduate of the Harvard Business School MBA program?
If yes, year of graduation:
Relationship Type (drop-down menu):
- Current employer
- Previous employer
Relationship Context (drop-down menu):
- Direct Supervisor
- Other Supervisor
- Direct Report
- Indirect Report
Number of applicants you are recommending to the HBS MBA Program this year:
Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, their role in your organization:
HBS MBA Recommendation
HBS asks recommenders to rate the applicant’s traits and skills using the following scale: No Basis for Judgment, Potential Area of Concern, Developing, Strong, and Distinctive.
Traits and Skills:
- Awareness of and respect for others
- Adaptability and resilience
- Interpersonal skills with subordinates and colleagues
- Interpersonal skills with superiors
- Professional maturity
- Teamwork: engagement and collaboration
- Teamwork: leadership and development of others
The MBA Admissions Board is also interested in your evaluation of the candidate’s skills based on the interactions you have had with the candidate. Options include: No Basis for Judgement, Potential Area of Concern, Developing, Meets Expectations, and Exceeds Expectations.
- Analytical thinking
- Listening skills
- Quantitative skills
- Verbal communication
- Written communication
- Creative problem solving
Please feel free to comment on the ratings you have assigned (optional):
HBS MBA Recommendation Upload
Finally, HBS poses two questions to be answered in a separate document and uploaded to the online recommendation. Of note, these questions align with the GMAC Common Letter of Recommendations. Check out our GMAC Common LoR analysis for advice.
Please respond to the questions below in a single document.
- How do the applicant’s performance, potential, background, or personal qualities compare to those of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? Please provide specific examples. (Recommended: 300 words)
- Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (Recommended: 250 words)
- (Optional) Is there anything else we should know? Please be concise.