The UCLA Anderson MBA application requires two professional recommendations. There is an online questionnaire but recommenders may upload an additional letter if they choose. The UCLA MBA recommendation questions are now available for applicants and their recommenders.
2021-2022 UCLA Anderson MBA Recommendation Questions
Section 1: Recommender Information
Context of Relationship
- Current Employer
- Previous Employer
- Extra Curricular/Community
Nature of relationship
- Direct Supervisor
- Other Supervisor
- Direct Report
- Indirect Report
- Business Partner/Investor
How long have you known the applicant?
During which period of time have you had the most frequent contact with the applicant?
If you are affiliated with UCLA Anderson School of Management or UCLA, please select the option that most closely matches.
- UCLA Anderson Graduate
- UCLA Graduate
- Not affiliated
Section 2: Competency Ratings
Recommenders are asked to rate 10 competencies using the following scale:
- Interpersonal Skills
- Professional Maturity
- Analytical and Problem Solving
- Motivation and Initiative
- Work Quality
- Leadership Potential
(Optional) Is there anything about your competency ratings on which you’d like to comment?
Section 3: Comments and Examples
Please answer the following questions and provide specific examples where possible.
- Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant’s role in your organization. (Recommended word count: 50 words)
- How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (E.g. what are the applicant’s principal strengths?) (Recommended word count: 300 words)
- Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (Recommended word count: 300 words)
- (Optional) Is there anything else we should know?
Based on your professional experience, how do you rate this candidate compared to her/his peer group?
- Unable to assess
- Below average
- Very good (well above average)
- Excellent (top 10%)
- Outstanding (top 5%)
- The best encountered in my career
Overall, I …
- Do not recommend this applicant
- Recommend this applicant, with reservations
- Recommend this applicant
- Enthusiastically recommend this applicant