The Dartmouth Tuck MBA recommendation questions for the 2022-2023 admissions season are presented below. Tuck School of Business recommenders and applicants can read on to understand how candidates are evaluated and exactly what recommenders are asked.
First time applicants must submit two letters of reference. Reapplicants who applied in the 2021-22 application cycle need to submit only one new letter from a reference who did not previously write to Tuck on their behalf.
Before they even view the school’s recommendation form and questions, Tuck recommenders receive a detailed email emphasizing that their letters should reflect:
- direct knowledge of the candidate’s qualifications and accomplishments (as evidenced by detailed examples and anecdotes)
- a desire to help the admissions committee understand the candidate’s strengths and areas for development (so they can assess how a Tuck MBA will help the applicant grow), and
- a willingness to invest time in crafting the recommendation (as opposed to allowing the applicant to author it)
Accordingly, Tuck has eliminated maximum word counts for its MBA recommendation questions, allowing recommenders to answer each prompt in as much detail as they wish.
Of note, Tuck uses the Common Letter of Recommendation from GMAC – check out our analysis of these questions and tips for responding to them.
2022-2023 Dartmouth Tuck MBA Recommendation Questions
Please respond to all of the following questions in the space below. If you have written your reference letter in a Word document, please copy and paste your letter into the space below.
- Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant’s role in your organization.
- How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (E.g. what are the applicant’s principal strengths?)
- Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response.
- Is there anything else we should know?
Clear Admit Resources
For more guidance on addressing the Tuck MBA recommendation questions and crafting a supportive letter, check out the Clear Admit Recommendation guide. This 45-page PDF publication offer strategic guidance and is available for immediate download.