The MBA degree provides candidates with the tools, skills, networks and opportunities to advance their current career or switch their career path in a new direction. For those looking to use the degree to expand their career opportunities, understanding which business school programs provide the greatest access to which careers is critical.
Duke / Fuqua MBA Recommendation Questions 2022-2023
The recommendation questions for the Duke University Fuqua School of Business are now available. Fuqua uses an adapted version of the Common Letter of Recommendation from GMAC. All recommenders are required to use the common letter of recommendation form associated with the online application. One letter of recommendation is required, and should come from someone with knowledge of your professional skills and abilities. Applicants may also provide additional endorsements from alumni or current students. Should the endorsement be submitted prior to receipt of the application, you become eligible for an application fee waiver.
2022-2023 Duke / Fuqua MBA Recommendation Questions
Section 1: Recommender Information
Context of Relationship:
University / Academic
Extracurricular / community
Nature of relationship
Advisor / mentor
Colleague / Peer
Client / Customer
Business Partner / Investor
During which period of time have you had the most frequent contact with the applicant?
If you are affiliated with The Fuqua School of Business or Duke University, please select the option that most closely matches.
Fuqua School of Business Graduate
In this section, you will find 12 competencies and character traits that contribute to successful leadership. The competencies and character traits are grouped into five categories:
For each competency, please select the one button that corresponds to the behavior that you have seen the applicant most consistently exhibit. We acknowledge that all applicants have both areas of strength and areas of development. Your candid and honest appraisal will assist in evaluation of the applicant. Please assume that each level builds upon behaviors of the previous level.
1. Initiative: Acts ahead of need/anticipates problems
2. Results Orientation: Focuses on and drives toward delivering on goals, objectives, and performance improvement
3. Communication, Professional Impression & Poise: Delivers messages and ideas in a way that engages an audience and achieves buy-in; uses listening and other attending behaviors to reach shared understanding; remains calm and measured even in time of crisis or conflict
4. Influence and Collaboration: Engages and works with people over whom one has no direct control
5. Respect for Others: Acknowledges the value of others’ views and actions
6. Team Leadership: Manages and empowers a team of formal or informal direct reports, including virtual teams
7. Developing Others: Helps people develop their performance and ability over time
8. Trustworthiness/ Integrity: Acts consistently in line with or follows explicit values, beliefs, or intentions
9. Adaptability/ Resilience: Adapts to changing demands and circumstances without difficulty. Maintains calm optimism in the face of challenge, problems, or apparent failure
10. Self Awareness: Aware of and seeks out additional input on own strengths and weaknesses
11. Problem Solving: Frames problems, analyzes situations, identifies key issues, conducts analysis on the issues, and produces acceptable solution
12. Strategic Orientation: Thinks beyond one’s span of control and into the future to reshape the approach or scope of work
(Optional) Is there anything about your competency ratings on which you’d like to comment?
Based on your professional experience, how do you rate this candidate compared to her/his peer group?
Very Good (well above average)
Excellent (top 20%)
Outstanding (top 10%)
One of the best encountered in my career
Overall, I…this applicant to The Fuqua School of Business.
Do Not Recommend this applicant
Recommend this applicant with Reservations
Recommend this applicant
Enthusiastically recommend this applicant
Please answer the following questions and provide specific examples where possible.
Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant’s role in your organization. (Recommended word count: 50 words)
How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (E.g. what are the applicant’s principal strengths?) (Recommended word count: 500 words)
Describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant’s response. (Recommended word count: 500 words)
Join the Clear Admit community for free and conduct unlimited searches of MBA LiveWire, MBA DecisionWire, MBA ApplyWire and the Interview Archive. Register now and you’ll also get 10% off your entire first order.