The MBA degree provides candidates with the tools, skills, networks and opportunities to advance their current career or switch their career path in a new direction. For those looking to use the degree to expand their career opportunities, understanding which business school programs provide the greatest access to which careers is critical.
2019-2020 UT Austin McCombs MBA Recommendation Questions
Section 1: Recommender Information
Context of Relationship:
University / Academic
Extracurricular / community
Nature of relationship
Advisor / mentor
Colleague / Peer
Client / Customer
Business Partner / Investor
During which period of time have you had the most frequent contact with the applicant?
In this section, you will find 16 competencies and character traits that contribute to successful leadership. The competencies and character traits are grouped into five categories:
For each competency, please select the one button that corresponds to the behavior that you have seen the applicant most consistently exhibit. We acknowledge that all applicants have both areas of strength and areas of development. Your candid and honest appraisal will assist in evaluation of the applicant. Please assume that each level builds upon behaviors of the previous level.
1. Initiative: Acts ahead of need/anticipates problems
2. Results Orientation: Focuses on and drives toward delivering on goals, objectives, and performance improvement
3. Communication, Professional Impression & Poise: Delivers messages and ideas in a way that engages an audience and achieves buy-in; uses listening and other attending behaviors to reach shared understanding; remains calm and measured even in time of crisis or conflict
4. Influence and Collaboration: Engages and works with people over whom one has no direct control
5. Respect for Others: Acknowledges the value of others’ views and actions
6. Team Leadership: Manages and empowers a team of formal or informal direct reports, including virtual teams
7. Developing Others: Helps people develop their performance and ability over time
8. Trustworthiness/ Integrity: Acts consistently in line with or follows explicit values, beliefs, or intentions
9. Adaptability/ Resilience: Adapts to changing demands and circumstances without difficulty. Maintains calm optimism in the face of challenge, problems, or apparent failure
10. Self Awareness: Aware of and seeks out additional input on own strengths and weaknesses
11. Problem Solving: Frames problems, analyzes situations, identifies key issues, conducts analysis on the issues, and produces acceptable solution
12. Strategic Orientation: Thinks beyond one’s span of control and into the future to reshape the approach or scope of work
(Optional) Is there anything about your competency ratings on which you’d like to comment?
Based on your professional experience, how do you rate this candidate compared to her/his peer group?
Very Good (well above average)
Excellent (top 20%)
Outstanding (top 10%)
One of the best encountered in my career
Do Not Recommend
Recommend with Reservations
Please answer the following questions and provide specific examples where possible.
Please provide a brief description of your interaction with the applicant and, if applicable, the applicant’s role in your organization. (Maximum word count: 50 words)
How does the performance of the applicant compare to that of other well-qualified individuals in similar roles? (E.g. what are the applicant’s principal strengths?) (Maximum word count: 500 words)
I found your description of the Wharton guide to be spot-on: it does a good job of consolidating and contextualizing all the relevant info about Wharton in one succinct document. The Wharton history section was new info and interesting to me. I also thought that the guide did a better job of covering the specifics of the academic program than Wharton does in its own materials! I liked the geographic and industry job placement comparisons between schools too.
Praise from a Wharton applicant
I want to tip my hat to the team at Clear Admit that put these guides together. I'm a recent graduate of Wharton's MBA program and remain active in the admissions process (serving as an alumni interviewer to evaluate applicants). I can't tell you how important it is for applicants to show genuine enthusiasm for Wharton and I think the Clear Admit School Guide for Wharton captures many of the important details, as well as the spirit of the school.
Accolades from a Wharton MBA graduate
Applicants constantly hear that no two schools are alike, however, very little information exists where one can learn about these differences. Clear Admit does an excellent job in helping prospective applicants learn about individual schools through the School Guides, providing great information about specific schools in the context of how they compare to other schools on similar metrics.
Praise from Rosemaria Martinelli, Associate Dean, Student Recruitment & Admissions, Chicago Graduate School of Business
Purchasing the Clear Admit HBS School Guide was one of best decisions I made in the application process. I visited HBS three times and was certain that I acquired all the necessary information about the school. After reading the guide, it became clear that I was wrong!
Praise from an HBS applicant
Many thanks for the HBS School Guide. It is just awesome! It has all that I need - a veritable one-stop-shop for all my research needs. Thanks again!
Join the Clear Admit community for free and conduct unlimited searches of MBA LiveWire, MBA DecisionWire, MBA ApplyWire and the Interview Archive. Register now and you’ll also get 10% off your entire first order.