The Vanderbilt University Owen Graduate School of Management Full-time MBA application is live, which means that the Owen MBA essay topics are available for applicants targeting the Class of 2021.
2018-2019 Vanderbilt Owen MBA Essay Questions
What is your short-term career goal after the MBA? Explain briefly why you have chosen this area. Discuss your current skill set and what you will need to add to these skills from the Vanderbilt MBA. (300 words)
Optional Explanatory Essays
You are encouraged to provide an additional statement to clarify and explain any of the following: gaps of more than three months in full-time employment, lack of recommendation from your current or most recent supervisor, limited full-time work experience (ignore if you are a recent undergraduate), poor academic performance, weak test scores, academic misconduct, violations of the law, or anything else you think is important for the Admissions Committee to know about you that is not already addressed elsewhere in your application. Applicants reactivating a previous application submitted within the last two years should provide their additional statement here. (500 words)
Optional Additional Information
You may provide in the space below any additional information you would like for us to consider that would strengthen your application. (350 words)
The video essay is a required component of the online application. Our goal in asking you for a short video essay is to glimpse an authentic and unscripted view of your personality, creativity, and/or communication style. Don’t stress over this portion of the application! The video essay questions are easy to answer and similar to questions you might be asked in an interview. Just be yourself! Read through the video essay instructions overview below before starting the process. Once you have read the overview, follow the instructional prompts provided on the screen for the video essay recording process.
Video Essay Instructions Overview
- You will be prompted to start the video essay process by first testing your equipment (video and sound). See below for the Red Button that Says “Start Test”.
- Proceed through the testing steps. Once you have acknowledged that you have thoroughly tested your equipment, you will be prompted to proceed with the process of actually recording your video essay.
- The system will display a question for you to answer. You will have 30 seconds to gather your thoughts and prepare your answer. There will be a visual timer countdown on the screen.
- You will then have up to 90 seconds to respond with your answer to the video essay. You may use the entire 90 seconds or stop the recording when you have sufficiently answered the question. There will be a visual timer countdown on the screen.
- When your recording is stopped you may review your recording. If you are satisfied with your video essay recording, you may proceed to the next page of the application. If you would like to record the video essay again, you may.
- The system will allow you 3 opportunities to record your video essay. Each time you redo the video essay, you will be given a different question.
- After 3 attempts at recording you will not be given the opportunity to record again.
- You will see a message that reads “We have successfully received your video submission.” after you have recorded your video essay.
Important notes to remember as you begin:
- You will only 3 attempts to do a video essay recording – each attempt will present a different question
- You will have 30 seconds to prepare to answer the question on the screen
- You will have up to 90 seconds to respond with the video recording