The following Harvard Business School / HBS interview questions and report were submitted to Clear Admit by a Round 1 applicant who was admitted. Congratulations to them!
1. End of Oct. / Round 1
2. Interview at a Hub Location / Interview was in an office setting in a conference room.
3. Adcom interview w/ only 1 person (most HBS interviews are with two people)
4. Questions/prompts were all about me and my experience:
- Tell me about what you do.
- Tell me about your experience at your company.
- Who are you biggest competitors?
- What can you do to gain a strategic advantage?
- What’s the biggest threat to your business?
- What does the future of your business look like?
- How do you build trust on a new team?
- Tell me about a time you failed on a team.
- What would your team say about you if I asked?
- What did you mean by XYZ in your essay?
5. Overall, the interview was very relaxed and truly a conversation. I was surprised by how natural the conversation flowed and how quickly the interview went by.
In preparation, I would suggest knowing your story/experiences and understanding what characteristics you want to portray (do not be scripted). Just answer the question being asked.
Don’t try to make every single point you want to unless it is specifically asked for, you don’t want to dig yourself into a hole. The interview, I believe, is meant to get to know you, how you’ll fit in, and how you’ll perform in the classroom.
If you missed something that you REALLY wanted to talk about, you could potentially include that in the post interview reflection. Also, it’s going to be very difficult to do, but try not to analyze every part of the conversation post interview. You’re likely your harshest critic.
I was admitted in Round 1.
Preparing for an upcoming HBS interview? Click here to get the Clear Admit Harvard Business School Interview Guide.
After your interview, be sure to add your first-hand interview report to the Clear Admit Interview Archive.