By far the most introspective interview I had. The interview lasted exactly one hour. The interviewer was matched based on my background. During the first 5 minutes the interviewer described the agenda and notified me that he would be writing a report. He explained that there would several follow-up to ensure that he could complete a questionnaire provided to him by the adcom.
The interview consisted of the following questions:
1. Briefly describe to me how you got to where you are now. You can highlight anything in your resume if you would like.
2. Why do you want an MBA? How does it fit with your short-term and long-term goals?
Based on my answer he asked me what was one thing that stood out during my visit to GSB.
3. Tell me a time when you had an obstacle in your professional life. How did you solve it and what did you learn?
There were a number of follow-ups to understand my motivations, how I felt, what I thought I could do better, who was involved, etc.
4. Tell me a time you resolved an interpersonal issue.
Bunch of follow-up to understand my thought process
5. Anything else you would like to share?
I asked questions for 10 to 15 mins.
The questions are definitely geared to understand what are someone’s motivations. The interview is conversational, but also challenges you to provide immense detail.
I enjoyed the interview as very little emphasis was placed on regurgitating facts about the school. It was truly a time to add to the What matters most essay prompt.