The interview was conducted by a 2nd-year student and admissions ambassador. The interviewer was incredibly kind the process was very relaxing.
1. Tell me about yourself.
• There was no further context, so I gave a quick introduction and included one personal interest.
2. Why Rice/Jones?
• I highlighted geographic location, Rice entrepreneurship rankings, and a specific club of interest.
3. Why MBA?
4. Specifically, what transferable skills can you leverage from experience into a post-MBA career?
• I may have missed a cue in the previous questions, and the interviewer needed clarity. I talked about how my current job is most similar to a career in consulting but is limiting my true potential.
5. DEI: How do you wish to promote diversity and inclusion in this community?
• I reflected on my foreign travel and volunteer work to bring multiple perspectives into the classroom.
6. What factors will you use to choose an MBA program?
• Location, Rice career services, and specific club affiliation/interaction.
7. Anything to add that is NOT covered by your resume or application?
• I added the personal story of my family of entrepreneurs and how I am a first-generation college graduate.
8. Anything you want to ask me?
• What clubs do you most like?
• What cultural challenges did you face in Texas?
• What’s the Houston food culture like?
I hope this helps and good luck!